The history of Fort Connah is steeped in the politics and realities of the fur trade in North America. The Fort Connah post, originally located near Thompson Falls, MT and known as either the Flathead Post or Salessh House, was built in 1809 by David Thompson and James McMillian of the Northwest Company. Flathead House was later merged into the Hudson Bay Company. Angus McDonald was promoted to command the Flathead House in 1847, where he assumed responsibilities from Neil MacArthur. It was decided that the post location was better suited for the Mission Valley where it stands today.
There are a number of books and manuscripts about both Fort Connah and Duncan McDonald. Links to those resources can be found below.